Crown University Professor in Ethics
Contact Information207 West Duke Building, Durham, NC 27708
Gopal Sreenivasan (Ph.D. 1993, UC Berkeley) joined the Duke faculty in 2008. His primary research interests are in moral and political philosophy. Within those fields, he is interested in many areas, including moral psychology and bioethics.
- "Emotions, reasons, and epistemology," Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 97(2) (2018): 500-506.
- "Taking international legality seriously: A methodology for human rights." In A. Etinson (ed.) Human Rights: Moral or Political? (Oxford, 2018): 211-229. With Allen Buchanan.
- "Acts, agents, and the definition of virtue," Oxford Studies in Normative Ethics 7 (2017): 251-74.
- "Public goods, individual rights, and third party benefits." In M. McBride (ed.) New Essays on the Nature of Rights (Hart Publishing, 2017): 127-48.
- "Character education and the rearguard of situationism." In W. Sinnott-Armstrong and C. Miller (eds.) Moral Psychology, volume 5 (MIT, 2017): 131-62.
The links on this page connect to page proofs. For published versions of articles, see my curriculum vitae, although those links may require a subscription.
Buchanan, A, and Sreenivasan, G. "Taking international legality seriously: A methodology for human rights." In Human Rights: Moral or Political?, 211-229. April 19, 2018. Full Text
Sreenivasan, G. "What is non-ideal theory?." In Transitional Justice,edited by Williams, M and Elster, J, 233-256.: NOMOS LI and Oxford, December 1, 2012. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "Democracy and international law: A peril from the "public"?." In Moral Universalism and Pluralism,edited by Richardson, HS and Williams, MS, 240-250.: New York University Pres, 2009. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "Global health and non-ideal justice." In Cambridge Textbook of Bioethics,edited by P Singer and A Viens, 369-375. Cambridge, 2008. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "In defense of the hybrid theory." In Law: Metaphysics, Meaning, and Objectivity,edited by E Villanueva, 299-307. Rodopi, 2007. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "Health care and human rights: against the split duty gambit." Theoretical medicine and bioethics 37, no. 4 (August 4, 2016): 343-364. Full Text
Sreenivasan, G. "A plea for moral deference." Etica E Politica 17, no. 2 (January 1, 2015): 41-59.
Sreenivasan, G. "A plea for moral deference." Ethics & Politics 27, no. 2 (2015): 41-59.
Sreenivasan, G. "Justice, Inequality, and Health." Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2014). (Review)
Sreenivasan, G. "A human right to health? Some inconclusive scepticism." Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society (supplementary volume) (2012): 239-265.
Sreenivasan, G. "Duties and Their Direction." Ethics 120, no. 3 (April 2010): 465-494.