Crown University Professor in Ethics
Contact Information207 West Duke Building, Durham, NC 27708
Gopal Sreenivasan (Ph.D. 1993, UC Berkeley) joined the Duke faculty in 2008. His primary research interests are in moral and political philosophy. Within those fields, he is interested in many areas, including moral psychology and bioethics.
- "Acts, agents, and the definition of virtue," Oxford Studies in Normative Ethics 7 (2017): 251-74.
- "Public goods, individual rights, and third party benefits." In M. McBride (ed.) New Essays on Rights (Hart Publishing, 2017): 127-48.
- "Character education and the rearguard of situationism." In W. Sinnott-Armstrong and C. Miller (eds.) Moral Psychology, volume 5 (MIT, 2017): 131-62.
- "Health care and human rights: Against the split duty gambit," Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 37(4) (2016): 343-64.
- "A plea for moral deference," Ethics & Politics 27(2) (2015): 41-59.
- "HESC and equitable residues," American Journal of Bioethics 15(3) (2015): 54-55.
- "Taking international legality seriously: A methodology for human rights." In A. Etinson (ed.) Human Rights: Moral or Political? (Oxford, in press). With Allen Buchanan.
The links on this page connect to page proofs. For published versions of articles, see my curriculum vitae, although those links may require a subscription.
Sreenivasan, G, and Buchanan, A. "Taking international legality seriously: A Methodology for human rights (Accepted)." In Human Rights: Moral or Political?,edited by A Etinson. Oxford, 2016. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "What is non-ideal theory?." In Transitional Justice,edited by M Williams and J Elster,233-256. NOMOS LI and Oxford, December 1, 2012. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "Democracy and international law: A peril from the "public"?." In Moral Universalism and Pluralism,edited by HS Richardson and MS Williams,240-250. New York University Pres, 2009. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "Global health and non-ideal justice." In Cambridge Textbook of Bioethics,edited by P Singer and A Viens,369-375. Cambridge, 2008. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "In defense of the hybrid theory." In Law: Metaphysics, Meaning, and Objectivity,edited by E Villanueva,299-307. Rodopi, 2007. (Chapter)
Sreenivasan, G. "Health care and human rights: against the split duty gambit." Theoretical medicine and bioethics 37, no. 4 (August 4, 2016): 343-364. Full Text
Sreenivasan, G. "A plea for moral deference." Etica e Politica 17, no. 2 (January 1, 2015): 41-59.
Sreenivasan, G. "A plea for moral deference." Ethics & Politics 27, no. 2 (2015): 41-59.
Sreenivasan, G. "Justice, Inequality, and Health." Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2014). (Review)
Sreenivasan, G. "A human right to health? Some inconclusive scepticism." Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society (supplementary volume) (2012): 239-265.
Sreenivasan, G. "Duties and Their Direction." Ethics 120, no. 3 (April 2010): 465-494.
Sreenivasan, G. "Ethics and Epidemiology: Residual Health Inequalities." Public Health Ethics 2, no. 3 (November 2009): 244-249. Full Text